3 DAY STARTUP UTEP
March 24th – 26th, 2017 @ Cardwell Collaborative
MEDICAL CENTER OF THE AMERICAS
5130 GATEWAY BOULEVARD EAST
3 Day Startup is a 72-hour learning-by-doing campus workshop that teaches entrepreneurial skills to university students in an extreme hands-on environment.
Application Deadline Extended! Closes March 23rd @ 11:59am
The program is free but you must apply to get in. 3DS is open to undergraduate students of all majors.
Applications are reviewed and accepted on fist-come-first-serve basis, so don’t wait until last minute!
Redfin El Paso, is a residential real estate company that provides web-based real estate database and brokerage services. Redfin is the Modern Way to Buy or Sell a Home. Its mission is to redefine real estate in the customer’s favor. For more information click HERE.
WHAT HAPPENS AT A 3DS PROGRAM?
Bootcamp (1-2 weeks before program date): Participating students meet, get introduced to key entrepreneurship principles, and learn best practices for maximizing the 3 Day Startup program experience.
Day 1: Participants arrive – with or without startup ideas – and a facilitator leads the group through dedicated brainstorming, preliminary pitches/feedback, and team selection modules. Some teams work late into the night and others prefer to rest up in preparation for day 2.
Day 2: Customer discovery (teams exit the building or hit the phones and talk to potential customers), structured mentorship, intermediate pitches and feedback sessions. Day 2 places heavy emphasis on business model generation.
Day 3: Continued execution (including pitch workshops) leading into final pitches/demos to an esteemed panel of mentors and investors.
WATCH A BRIEF VIDEO OF 3 DAY STARTUP AT AUSTIN TO SEE WHAT THE WEEKEND LOOKS LIKE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What does the weekend look like? You and 39 other students will start a technology company over the course of three days. We rent work space for a 3 days, invite 40 students with a wide range of backgrounds, cater food, drinks, snacks, and coffee, pick the best idea for a software startup during the Friday brainstorming session, and release a minimal prototype by the end of day 3. The goal is to build enough momentum among a network of motivated people to sustain the company beyond the weekend.
- If I participate, what do I get out of the weekend? The worst case scenario is that you will work with brilliant people from numerous disciplines toward the common goal of building real companies and products. Great connections happen at 3 Day Startup: cofounders meet, complementary skill sets collide, and friends are made. The best case scenario is that you will be a cofounder of a wildly successful new tech startup.
- I’m a student majoring in X. Should I even consider applying? The short answer is: yes. Our past participants have spanned everything from a freshman in psychology to a freshly minted PhD in Neuroscience. If you’re at all passionate about startups and technology, it is likely that you will be a valuable participant.
- What kind of ideas are allowed? Ideas with scalable business models are strongly preferred. We also optimize for ideas that will require a strong software base. Our selection criteria for ideas are (1) your amount of passion and (2) the amount of research on your own idea that you perform before your interview.
- What about food? Sleep? 3DS caters all meals, drinks, and in-between snacks. Sleep is optional.
CONTACT THE LOCAL ORGANIZING TEAM
For questions about the 3DS UTEP program, please email our lead organizer, Karla Lujan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, 3DS UTEP program, organizing committee member, Alejandra López at email@example.com.